Monday, February 28, 2011

Rejected...Again

Ive been applying for summer internships (Any takers? Anyone?) for the past few months and the rejection letters have started to flow in. Unfortunately they all pretty much look the same:

Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in XXXXXX and our internship program. We had an overwhelming number of applicants for the three positions, and I am sorry to say that you were not among the final candidates. Thank you for applying and good luck in the employment search.

Cheers,

XXX


If they are going to be informal, why not at least be creative with it. Or least give a good reason why I was rejected. Better yet how about sending something like this:

Dear Sir:

While updating our file of job applications, yours was folded into a paper airplane and was accidentally sailed out the window. Would you mind filling out the enclosed application and mailing it back to us in the shape of an airplane?

Sincerely, Personnel Department


Perhaps I need to contact them again to correct the situation. There is a anti-rejection letter flowing around the internet that would be perfect for this.


Dear [name of the person who signed the rejection letter],

Thank you for your letter of [date of the rejection letter]. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me [employment with your firm/a contract to publish my book].

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals. Despite [name of the co or agency that sent you this letter]'s outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting [applicants/manuscripts], I find that your rejection does not meet with my needs at this time.

Therefore, I will initiate [employment/publishing] with your firm immediately following [graduation/job change, etc. -- get creative here]. I look forward to working with you.
Best of luck in rejecting future [candidates/manuscripts].

Sincerely,
[your name]


It could be worse. At least I'm not Andy Warhol. Check out this doozy of a rejection letter he received for after sending some of his work to the freaking MUSEUM OF MODERN ART. (click image to enlarge)

Or I could be a woman applying to be an animator for Disney (Or perhaps Jewish)

This last rejection letter at least looks like its something I would be rejected for.

Does anyone want to give me a Summer internship yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment